Friday, October 3, 2008

Rental

We are renting a house for a year. Our contract will be up June 1, which seems very far away. This has been a fun house to live in, very large (bigger than anything either of us have ever lived in) with an even bigger yard (almost an acre lot). The house is probably 10-15 years old, I'm not sure. Well, it's been showing its approximate age while we've been living here.
A few weeks after moving in, Mason's room, which is in the basement, started smelling really musty. Then I noticed the floor was very wet under his bed. The sprinklers were hitting his window & water was leaking in inside the wall. I could tell it had been a problem before because the window sill area was very warped. So, I called the property manager. She came over with her husband & they put a bucket over the sprinkler, saying they would come back when the sprinklers were on & adjust it. Well, the bucket made things worse because now the water had nowhere to go but down. So, a few days later Todd got back to Utah (he'd been in Minnesota still) & figured out how to adjust the sprinkler. Fine. We've had to adjust it several times this summer. I watered again this week & it happened again, so I'm done watering for the season. Hopefully it will cool off & the lawn will be ok.
Another problem. The icemaker decided to flood the inside of the freezer. It would fill up & keep filling. I once again called the property manager. After a few days of waiting for her to call back, Todd looked online to figure out what needed to be done. He ordered a new ice maker. Finally, I got to talk to the property manager & told her we'd taken care of the problem. Todd installed it & things are fine again inside our freezer, I've even chisled out most of the things that were encased in ice.
Well, last night we had yet another surprise. As I went to the kitchen last night to close a window before going to bed it sounded like someone had left the faucet on in the mud room bathroom. I walked in to find a huge puddle surrounding the toilet. I lifted the lid & things looked fine inside, so I took the top off the tank & noticed a crack all along the tank, top to bottom. I've noticed a crack on the outside that seems to have been caulked or something in the past, but whatever, it gave way last night. So, we got the water turned off, the floor mopped up (I hope it did not leak into the basement, this bathroom is above the locked part of the basement where the owner's belongings are), & then Todd put some gorilla glue & clamped it so the entire side would not fall off during the night. I'm just happy I noticed it last night not this morning! So, I once again have called the property manager. She said she'd send her maintenance guy out to look at it & probably install a new toilet. Fun fun. Hope it does not take forever to get done!
We are SO done with this renting business. At least if it was our own house we could just get the work done instead of calling to have it done, then finally just doing it ourselves!
As for the home buying, this was a bad week to be trying to get a mortgage! I talked to our banker's secretary today & she said our loan was still being "underwritten" & would be Monday or Tuesday before we'd know. I'm getting antsy to get an offer in on the house! I talked to the seller yesterday & told her we are still very interested & just playing the waiting game. I hope it works out!

2 comments:

Jared and Lisa said...

Oh, I hope it works out for you. It is nice to be settled into your own home.

Thanks for telling Becky I nominated her. She's so funny!

Glad to hear you're doing well hope you don't have to experience more costly or anoying problems with your rental and everything goes smoothly.

Rosemary and Rick said...

I guess even renting right now has its challenges! I cannot wait to congratulate you on your home purchase (and to see some pictures). As you know, we'll be here for a while yet. Not what I hoped for, but Rick is calm (which is a good thing) about the decision since not a lot of other options appealed to us at this point. Miss you.