Saturday, May 31, 2008

Moving Day

The official moving day was on May 29.  What a day, actually not that terrible, but not that great either.
A few weeks ago Todd realized that the Civic A/C was not working.  Great.  On Sunday as Todd drove to work the check engine light came on.  Even better.  So, we got lined up to take the car in Thursday morning at 7.  So, we ripped the kids out of bed at 6:50 & headed to the shop.  We all came home, wrestled clothes on the kids then tore their beds apart to pack sheets & such.
The movers came at 8, first in a little truck & I thought they would be doing a shuttle move like we had out of Utah, not great. That's where they load the stuff on a little truck, haul it to a warehouse then load it on a big truck, lots more chances for damage.  Luckily, a big truck showed up a few minutes later & they were under way.  Just as they were ready to start loading, it started to rain.
I took the kids to play with friends, Mason to play with Sam & Sarah to play with Sophia.  They were thrilled.  I was ready to head home to clean out the fridge but when I called Todd he told me it was crazy there & probably best to stay away for a while.  So, I browsed Target alone, filled the car, got some lunch.  Emma slept.  It was nice.
The day progressed.  We got Sarah on the bus at 12:30.  The movers were still there loading away.  It did stop raining in time for them to take the piano out, whew.
Finally, the moving truck drove away around 2:30.  Then our real fun began.  We cleaned bathrooms & unloaded stuff from the kitchen to take to the hotel for the week.  We picked up the car & Mason, getting home just as Sarah got off the bus.  As we got out of the car I noticed a car ready to stop at our house, then it drove on.  I figured it was the buyers just driving by the house.
Well, at 4 as we are all in the house I heard the door being unlocked.  In walked the buyers & their realtor.  Um, closing was not until the 30th!  They were all flustered & said they had talked with my realtor & planned to do the walk thru at 4.  Sure would have liked to have known that! (I'd talked to my realtor the day before & he had not mentioned anything other than it would be official on Friday & he'd call me when it was all done, which he has yet to do....) Anyway, I would not have been ready since the movers had left 1 1/2 hours before!  I was not happy.  I was stressed out as it was & this just about did me in.  They did the walk thru, despite the kitchen being a mess, Emma screaming, & Sarah trying to get out the door to dance dress rehearsal.
We loaded the car & brought stuff to the hotel, realizing we saved out too much stuff for this week.  Yikes!  I think we'll be okay since quite a bit was food from our fridge for this week.
Finally around 7 the kids had all had it, Sarah was in tears, & we left the house.  The kids were better once we got to the hotel & even better again when they saw the pool.  Poor Todd went back to the house to finish up.  It was a long day.
We had 11,200 pounds of stuff.  Glad we were not loading it!  Now it's on it's way (I hope!).  We won't be there to receive it, good thing we've got family on the other end!
This WILL be our last cross country move. 

2 comments:

Jenni said...

So crazy. I hope the rest of the week is better and the drive to UT is a good one.

Hendry Happenings said...

Doesn't it feel good to think that this is the last cross country move. Our journey's are nearing an end and real life is getting ready to begin! Well, in two years for us.