Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Breaking the new house

No, that is not a typo for the title.  
Here are my little angels this morning, eating popsicles & holding balloons this morning (actually it was kind of a rough morning since everyone was tired from too much fun yesterday).  Anyway the day was fine (except for me dropping a diaper box on Emma & giving her a shiner on her left eye).
Todd got home early so we braved the Spaghetti Factory for their last night of their 40th birthday celebration with meals 40% off (what an awesome deal!).  The kids did fine, we even made a stop to Allyse's Bridal in the mall after (Sarah loves that store).
We got home, popped the kids in the tub & planned on a decent bedtime.  Well, that was not to be.  Todd got Mason & Emma washed, then stepped out for a minute with his usual "don't get the floor wet" reminder.  I was in the family room with my elephant leg propped up (pregnancy is so glamorous) & Todd came down for a minute.  Then we heard an unusual sound from above, not a tub draining or toilet flushing, but something wet for sure.
We ran up to find Mason with a huge cup ready to pour on the floor, Emma dumping something full of water on the floor & the tub half empty.  It was ugly.  We ripped the kids out & Todd started mopping.  
We got that cleaned up, then as we came downstairs we heard a dripping sound.  Water was pouring out of the light fixture over my desk, which had my computer (good thing it was closed!), file box & other important things on it.
I was handling the light with paint bubbles around it fine, so was Todd.  Then we started noticing other bubbles in the ceiling along the joints, then water started coming out of these bubbles as well as another light fixture.  We did not handle all this quite so well.
Todd does not have to work tomorrow, there are not too many cases going on.  He really wishes he had to go in!  I don't blame him.  Mason & Emma are really not on our good list right now.
Mason was sent to bed without a story or tucking in.  When I went in a while later to close his blinds he asked why he'd not gotten a story.  I told him how he'd ruined the ceiling.  He got excited & said daddy could fix it & need to climb up his ladder to do it.  If it were only that fun & easy.
My one silver lining tonight, at least it was just bathtub water, not clogged toilet overflow.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I think the beach towels add a lovely decorative touch to your kitchen.
Well, that certainly is one way to break in the new house.

Arnold said...

It's one of those things that is good to get over. I know my kids always prayed I'd be the one to put a dent in any new car - then I wouldn't yell at them. It usually happened that way.

Carolyn Loveridge

Anonymous said...

Oh man!! I'm sorry about that! And you were just telling me how scared you were to put any holes in the walls to hang pictures...... Maybe now it won't be so bad! :)

Rosemary and Rick said...

I am so sorry!

The Hall Clan said...

oh girl,,,save this post!!!! it's amazing we all make it to adulthood,,,because let's face it, we have all pulled stunts like that.

Hendry Happenings said...

Wow! I am behind on my blog readings and was just checking to see if you were in your new house yet. I think my children would have been sold the the gypsies. You are one patient woman.