Monday, September 15, 2008

Road kill

My nephew, Isaac, came Friday to drive the Barbie Jeep with Mason (he really wished it was blue, not pink & purple, but was ok with it since it's fun).
As they drove to the far side of our large backyard, Isaac came running over to tell Lori & me that there was a dead squirrel on the lawn.  Gross!  Nothing like having road kill on your lawn for the toy jeep to hit, which they did not, luckily.  
So, I scooped the stiff & recently watered corpse up with a shovel & threw it onto the vacant lot next to us.  I should have thrown it over the fence to a stream area behind us, but I was afraid that if I hoisted it up to high it might slide off the shovel towards me.
Last night we had a big family party in our backyard.  The toy jeep was a hit, but so was the dead squirrel in the vacant lot.  I saw the kids looking at it.
This morning as I opened my bedroom blinds & saw a familiar creature on the back lawn.  I wondered what the chances were of having another dead squirrel back there.  As I scooped it up I realized it must be the same one, due to it being much more decomposed than the other & I could not easily see Friday's in the vacant lot.  So, I'm guessing some little body or maybe some other creature deposited it back on my lawn last night.  So gross.  I once again just threw it onto the vacant lot, for fear of it sliding off the shovel before making it over the fence.  I'm hoping for no more surprises tomorrow morning!

3 comments:

Arnold said...

Please take you shovel and dig a couple of shovelfuls in the vacant lot. Place the dead squirrel in the hole and cover him with the loose dirt. No more wandering squirrel.

This kind of reminds me of Jessica's wedding reception in our back yard. Our cat decided to bring us a present, a dead rat, right in the middle of the reception. Big hit!

Jenni said...

Yuck! I hate dead animals! You are so brave!

Hillary said...

That's pretty sick! Definitely not fun to wake up to. Hopefully you got rid of it for good!